Thursday, October 4, 2007

First Week in Morogoro Training

Mambo!
Habari za Marekani?

We have been with our host family for almost a week and it already feels like home. I am so glad to get home after being in a hot classroom all day and trying to learn Swahili. I feel most successful with my language progress at home with my brother, 2 sisters, Mama and
Baba. Also, when speaking with the students at our school and around town. It is very fun being able to speak well enough to have stangers willing to talk to me.

We have outstanding Kiswahili teachers. It is challenging but very well organized to give me what I need immediately and build a base to , now, start making sebntences of my own as needed.

Our home has four bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, living room and bathroom. We do not have a flush toilet or shower but we do have running water in Morogoro(except between 7am-4pm).It is common for us to take 2 bathes a day because it is hot and it is what everybody does to stay cool and sweet smelling! We have electricity. Our family has many fruit trees (banana, lemon, orange, avacado) and chickens. Yesterday, John and I found a nearly dead rooster from another rooster pecking him. When we got home, our brother told us that we would be having chicken for dinner on Sunday!

John and I have attended ( with our host mama and baba) a Kitchen Pot Party and a Send Off Party.These are for a woman getting married. The Kitchen Pot is for married women only to teach the new bride how to be a good wife. ( A man has a party,also, to learn how to be a good husband.) We have been told by our Kiswahili teacher that John was very lucky to have been invited!) The Send Off is a huge celebration for the woman's family to send her off and the man's family to invite her into their family. Also, the friend spresent gifts. Both have dancing and lots of funny stories along with the serious matters.


I have also met my contact teachers for practice teaching at my school. Our school has a biology lab with sinks and gas at lab tables! We have begun looking at the Syllabus. It will be another week before I actually observe or practice the classroom. I am excited to work here. They whole staff and faculty are very attentive to student needs and enjoy collaborating to make things work for every student.

Times up!

Kwa Heri!

Randee

No comments: