Thursday, October 4, 2007

Second Week in Morgoro Training Site

Salama!

This week we have learned how to construct sentences and how to bargin in the market. We have also started working on lesson design and how to adapt to the Tanzanian schedule and school structure. I asked Babu ( the school elder that brings chai at 10 am everyday and mush more that I am discovering. I asked for supplies I needed for a lesson of my contact teacher. She sent me to Babu to get me a hoe to dig for insects and also mentioned that Babu catches grasshoppers for her when she needs them for classes.

Today, coming into town on the dalla dalla and it actually felt normal. In teh market I bought fruits of the Baobab tree and successfully bargined to get the amount I wanted and at a local price (not the price that is given to wazungu).

Yesterday, I picked up the dress that was made for me by a local tailor. My mama picked out the material for me and helped me decide on a good pattern. John has a matching shirt and black trousers that were made for him. I am starting to feel like I fit in and that dresses fit with me.

The people in our small neighborhood near our school are talking to us more. I got stopped by a woman that wanted to talk about teaching. She is a elementary teacher in a school right in Morogoro. She is very experienced and is the head teacher. It was like talking to one of my colleagues in MN-- but we were talking every other sentence in Kiswahili. People are so patient and so kind to help us.

AT home my youngest (5) dada (sister) Shose loves to ride on my back and twrill until we both get dizzy. She is very strong and loves to run. My other dada is 10 years old. She helps me with my kiswahili and I help her with her science. When I come home hot, she likes to comb my hair and it cools me off. Finally, we have a dog, Tiaga. He is not a pet but he does greet us everyday when we come home and I like this.

Got to go.. times up

Siku mjemi.

Baadaye

Randee

No comments: